End of the year lists. I believe it’s a must for music blogs to have some and I decided to have ten. Yes, ten. Why ten? Because if you multiply ten by twenty, the number of perfomances on each list, you get two hundred, which works tremendously well with the idea behind this blog. Another reason for ten pretty long lists is the fact that there is so much to be told, shared and listened to that less or shorter lists wouldn’t work. Well, now you know about the lists, I can start talking about the first one: 200 Words’ 20 Best Live Sessions Of 2012.
Countless radio stations, blogs, brands and TV shows invite the coolest artists to come and perform there coolest songs, and some are really worth checking out. For example, Passion Pit performing acoustic versions of high energy synth-filled songs at KEXP. Or Washed Out performing a song in a cab while playing keyboard on an iPad. Or Little Dragon playing in the streets of a South African slum neighbourhood. The lists consist of these and seventeen other beautiful videos of musicians doing what they do best. To see the complete list and the top five videos with some accompanying texts, click the button below.
20. Bo Saris - She’s On Fire (Mahogany Session)
19. The Walkmen - The Love You Love (Yours Truly Session)
18. Real Estate (NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert)
17. Washed Out - New Theory (Black Cab Sessions)
16. Alabama Shakes - Hold On (Konk session)
15. Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards (Pitchfork X Log Cabin)
14. Lianne La Havas - Gone (Cafe St. Jean Session)
13. Passion Pit - Love Is Greed (KEXP)
12. King Krule - Portrait In Black And Blue (Yours Truly Session)
11. Dirty Projectors - Impregnable Question (Spinner’s Interface)
10. Tallest Man On Earth (KEXP)
9. Little Dragon - Little Man (South Africa Streets)
8. The xx - Angels (KEXP)
7. Alt-J (A Take Away Show)
6. Magic Look - Marques Toliver (Mr. Porter Session)
5. Jessie Ware - Running (Converse Take Away Show)
This video proves that you don’t need studio lighting, ten microphones and a kickass audio technician to deliver a stunning video.
Such an amazing example of both the singing quality of Abel Tesfaye as well as the great way The Weeknd tracks are building up to climaxes.
Such a simple setting, such simple piano chords and sounds, seems such a simple guy. Simply touching.
I think there aren’t any settings that seem more fitting than this one. A beautiful song in a beautiful forest.
Bon Iver proves that they or to some just Justin Vernon truly are among the best songwriters around. Songs that usually get played by a complete band, being played on just two pianos and being equally touching.